for BLOOD Oranges :-)
I remember having these as a kid in England and being fascinated at the color of them. Kristen loves these! Well, when I say she loves them, what I mean is she loves to just squeeze the juice out between her teeth and leave most of the flesh in tact! She WILL NOT eat the flesh of an orange?!!! I shouldn’t complain, it took her years to even want to try an orange. She tried when she was little and I guess it was just too acidic for her! Finally she is liking the juice from the orange, just not the flesh…. I guess it’s a start!
We both love the Blood Orange, when you slice in to it and see how red it is, I think it looks amazing. I showed hubby tonight and he thought it looked rather ‘weird’, but he did eat some. I think these are only available a certain time of year (at least around here) so I will have to get more. They are super juicy and sweet. I also got some Tangelos this week, which I’m discovering are very nice juicy oranges too.
I’m in the habit of watching Ellie Krieger’s cooking show again. Most of them seem to be repeats, but I still like watching. This week she made some super easy Spicy Tomato-Tortilla Soup. You can get the recipe HERE. It looks so easy I had to try it.
It’s simply onions sautéed with garlic and a jalapeno, then add cumin and oregano, then chicken stock and diced tomatoes. I didn’t have a jalapeno pepper in so I just added a tin of Rotel tomatoes to give it that spice! OMGosh – SPICY!!!! Well for me it was, but I have a very bland ‘wussy’ English palette ;-) This soup though has got to be barely 1pt per cup and it is tasty. I think next time I will just use half the can of spicy tomatoes or none at all and just have it as a tomato soup. Would be rather nice with a small grilled cheese sandwich.
Or if you want soup and a salad – how about this for a 1pt salad!! This is shredded butter lettuce, tomatoes AND my new fav this week coleslaw mix! I added 1 tblsp lite blue cheese dressing to the coleslaw and sprinkled it over the salad. You can add whatever protein you like.
Lunch today was this. . . .
1 bag is one serving – 7pp. It was really good, think I’ll be keeping a few of these in the freezer :-)

1 comment:
Isn't the color of blood oranges amazing?? Great photos!! (BTW, those potstickers look sooo good. I haven't seen them up here in Canada, but will keep my eyes peeled for them) Have a great day.
Post a Comment